Let’s face it, the last few months have been brutal. Dealing with the constant threats to communities and to democracy itself has been exhausting and heartbreaking, and many of us have been questioning whether we nonprofits are equipped to respond to current and future challenges. During these dark times, there has been at least one bright light: A new Star Trek show!
When hatred and xenophobia are on the rise, it’s nice to see a universe where diversity is a norm. From the two episodes I’ve seen, the new show, Star Trek: Discovery, is awesome. It’s not without flaws, of course, but this show, and Star Trek itself, paints a hopeful picture that we nonprofits should observe closely. And the Starfleet model in particular is something we should study.
Sign up for RVC’s mailing list and get the latest news. Don’t worry, we won’t email too often. You can also sign up to follow RVC’s blog by email. Enter your email address below and get notice of awesome new posts each Wednesday morning. Unsubscribe anytime.
- Are You Willing to Step Aside in Order to Fight Systemic Injustice? - July 13, 2018
- Karaoke, a Tool for Social Justice - November 29, 2017
- Star Trek and the Future of the Nonprofit Sector - November 8, 2017
- Equity Fatigue and How It Affects Leaders of Color - August 2, 2017
- How to Work With “Difficult” Community Elders - July 12, 2017
- Rainier Valley Corps Welcomes Baby Billy, Newest Member of the RVC Family! - July 5, 2017
- The Stigma Against Fiscal Sponsorship Needs To End - June 14, 2017
- RVC’s new blog: A Feisty Voice for Social Justice - May 3, 2017
- Invest in the kind of leaders we need in this time and place - December 7, 2015
- Reflections from RVC Executive Director Vu Le - May 14, 2015